A Travellerspoint blog

Good Vibes and Elephant Rides

semi-overcast 83 °F
View Justin and Kaela's Honeymoon Adventure on JK_Adventures's travel map.

Well today was exactly what the title says...full of good vibes and elephant rides. We started our morning off bright and early, getting up at 6:00 a.m. to prepare for our elephant excursion. We packed up our backpack and waited for a driver from the Baan Chang Elephant Park to pick us up. Baan Chang rescues all of their elephants (more stories about specific elephants later!). We were soon greeted by a nice man named Taz who would take us around for the day. Our drive over to the park took about an hour; Taz napped in the passenger seat the whole way while another man drove the huge passenger van. We drove way out of the city and into the beautiful forest surrounding. Immediately upon pulling into the park, a large herd of elephants with their mahouts (trainers) made their way down the driveway into the watering hole next to the entrance. That was quite a view to start off our adventure.

The adventure continued with us changing into mahout clothes since we'd be getting a little dirty as the day progressed. Once we dressed the part, it was time to take care of some elephants. Then we walked over to 30 or 40 hungry elephants lined up ready to be fed. We carried six 50 pound baskets full of bananas and sugar cane over to the elephants and started feeding them for their snack time. It was just the two of us feeding them the entire time! There weren't any other visitors at this point; It was only us, the mahouts, and the elephants! Feeding the elephants was a little intimidating at first because they're so massive and they get a little grabby when it comes to food (in the most gentle giant way possible). Justin and I split up and made our way through the line, giving everyone healthy portions of treats. All the elephants ranged in size, personality, and age. Some elephants were more confident grabbing food, while smaller ones needed more help getting food in their direction. There were a few younger elephants that couldn't quite reach as far to get the food, so the older and larger ones always reached out further. Justin and I had to navigate through the tangle of trunks to make sure that the young ones got enough to eat as well (they definitely did). All of the elephants were super friendly and grabbed each bite, flinging a little bit of slobber along the way. Once we were all finished with the six buckets (that was a lot of bananas and sugar cane!), one of the workers had us stand next to some of the elephants for a few pictures. They had the elephants give us kisses, which meant they used their trunks and sucked in against our faces and necks and made kissing noises. It was a little sloppy but absolutely adorable.

After all the kisses and snacks it was time to learn a little bit more about the elephants. Taz sat us down and told us a ton of information. For example, he told us that elephants only sweat by their toenails and their eyes (they can't sweat anywhere else, but they all took lots of dips in the water while we were there). Taz also told us some of the differences between Asian and African elephants, including their size and color (we were with Asian elephants). He informed us that all of the rescued elephants had to be bought from their previous situations. The first elephant they rescued was the cheapest at 600,000 baht; she was only the cheapest because she was blind from working in logging and having dust constantly in her eyes. The most expensive was 2,000,000 baht and he cost the most because he was the biggest. As he was teaching us all of this, two different elephants rode up to us with their mahout. One nicknamed "golden boy" was rescued from "begging" where he was forced to do tricks. Taz said he could do every trick in the book, but obviously does not do them anymore. He said that the only trick they can't stop them from doing is kissing because they actually enjoy trying to taste the sweat from people since its salty!

Next it was time to learn some basic mahout commands for riding. Golden Boy was our helper and a great elephant to ride with (not that we have much experience!). We learned how to say lay down (na long), go (bye), stop (how), turn (quay), and good job/thank you (di)...not sure if that's how you spell any of that, but that was how we pronounced it! Justin was the first one to get on Golden Boy. He made a loop around a small lot to make sure he remembered everything; then it was my turn. Getting on Golden Boy was a little unstable at first, but such an incredible feeling. He was so strong and so gentle! And you felt so high off the ground even though he was definitely one of the smaller guys. Justin and I both remembered everything we were supposed to and soon it was time for a longer ride.

Taz told us it'd be better to ride barefoot so that's exactly what we did. As we were getting ready, another elephant almost twice the size of Golden Boy strolled up with his mahout; that was the behemoth we'd be riding for the longer expedition!! Justin and I rode Big Daddy together, taking turns with who got to sit in the front and "drive." We rode around a huge path around the entire complex. It was impressive to see all of the space they had for the elephants and all of the different areas they could roam. Our trek ended with bath time back at the watering hole in the front of the complex. Bath time consisted of us trying to throw buckets of water on our new friend and scrub him with a coarse brush. Taz told us to scrub as hard as we could because they have two inch thick skin and scrubbing is like scratching an itch for them. We got right in the water with Big Daddy and eventually he started pointing with his trunk where he wanted to be scrubbed; such a great personality! He even rolled over completely on his side on his own. I guess we were doing a good job! After the bath it was time to say our goodbyes and thank yous to Big Daddy and everyone else before taking a shower of our own. We were pretty filthy at this point, but luckily they had human showers for us to clean up. Finally, it was time for a delicious lunch consisting of pad thai, fish soup, and pineapple. It was all extremely tasty and put us in a kanak attack for the drive back home. Justin, Taz, and I all passed out on the entire drive back to town!

Once we got back we decided to hit up the pool for an afternoon dip. However, both of us got so into our books that we ended up just reading by the pool instead. I ended up finishing my book and we decided we should pick up a dvd from the entertainment area by the pool; we settled on The Man from UNCLE, so we'll see how it is tonight! After the pool it was time for a real shower since I still felt like we'd just gotten out of an elephant bath (we did). Then it was time for a much deserved nap and rest before heading out for dinner at the long awaited Shabu-Shi (all you can eat shabu shabu and sushi). We went to this restaurant the last time we were in Bangkok and really enjoyed it so, when we saw that it was a few blocks away from us, we had to return!

Justin and I stuffed ourselves to the brim (with a combination of sushi, gyoza, and soup with a small serving of chocolate and strawberry ice cream at the end) and are now back ready to watch UNCLE. We're not totally sure what we're doing tomorrow, but we're thinking of going to a place called "Butter is Better" for breakfast then exploring more of the city on foot. There are tons of shrines and temples to explore and the Sunday night walking market is at the top of our list for tomorrow night! Until then...

Kaela and Justin

Meeting Golden Boy!

Giving the elephants their snack of bananas and sugar cane!

Time for some kisses!

Giving Big Daddy a workout together!

Time for Big Daddy's bath!

A relaxing afternoon at the pool.

Posted by JK_Adventures 06:33 Archived in Thailand Comments (5)

Chillaxing in Chiang Mai

semi-overcast 86 °F
View Justin and Kaela's Honeymoon Adventure on JK_Adventures's travel map.

We started the day off a little later than others. Kaela wasn't feeling too well, so we slept in and lounged around the apartment until noon. Around this time, we both decided that it was time to get out of the studio for a little while. We left with the intention of walking to the east gate of the old town, and to just aimlessly wander around the city for a while. We ended up walking around for 2 hours or so, taking in the sites and window-shopping as we passed by stores. We walked for several miles and, towards the end, we decided it was time to find a place for lunch; it was almost 2:00 p.m. at this point and we hadn't eaten all day! We started looking at different menus on our way back to the apartment, but nothing stood out to us. We decided to head back to our neighborhood and try to find a local Thai restaurant that our landlord highly praised when we checked in. Also, we got all the supplies for a French feast the day before, and all we were missing was a baguette, so we were planning on stopping by a bakery as well.

Once we got back in our neighborhood, we set off to find the Thai restaurant. We found a restaurant that we both agreed had to be the one we were looking for; the entire menu seemed to be in Thai from the street! When we sat down, we were soon greeted with an English menu (thankfully) and we proceeded to order the chicken fried rice and the chicken pad thai. The food was absolutely delicious! We ate every single thing before departing and, the best part, the food only cost us around $3.00. Now that's what I call a world-class delicious lunch!

After lunch, we stopped at a French bakery down the street to pick up a rustic baguette and a mini lemon tart before returning to our quaint studio. We were full from lunch, so we watch some movies for a while until I eventually fell asleep. I guess I was sleepy! I ended up taking a nap for a little under two hours. During this time, Kaela looked up some local restaurants to get to know our neighborhood better, and watched a few movies on TV like Spy (she really likes this one). Once I woke up, we started watching Fury (we have HBO again, as we have had in each place so far; lucky us!). We soon decided to head out and look for dinner. Since Kaela hasn't been feeling well today, we tried to look for some soup but didn't have too much luck. We ended up going back to the same Thai restaurant we went to for lunch (since the food was SO delicious), and Kaela got a shrimp wonton soup while I got the spicy fried noodles with chicken. When I ordered this plate, our waiter laughed at me a little bit and suggested that I get a drink. While I wasn't planning on getting a drink at first, after he chuckled at me I felt compelled! I got a Chang beer (delicious) and anxiously awaited my dinner.

Kaela's soup looked delicious and the broth was very tasty. My plate soon followed, and it was covered in red peppers. As I nervously took my first bite, I actually realized that it wasn't too spicy and it had quite a bit of flavor. I carefully avoided the peppers and enjoyed the delicious taste of the fried noodles, chicken, and basil. It was very good! Towards the end of the plate, I realized that the seeds from the pepper had become infused with the noodles and the vegetables, making it unavoidable for me to eat them. I struggled through the last several bites due to the heat of the dish (of course I finished it, I made a commitment when I ordered it). Kaela said that my eyes were red at one point, I was sweating, and my nose was running. The food was still delicious though! Towards the end I had to ration my drink appropriately to make sure that I made it (I did) and our dinner ended up costing us around $5.00; delicious!

After dinner we headed back to the apartment. When we returned, Kaela saw that the Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 was starting soon, so we quickly showered and sat down to relax and watch the movie, since we had never seen it. During the movie we enjoyed our French snack of bread, mustard, salami, and cheese. Now that the film is over, we are getting ready for our day tomorrow (we are going to babysit an elephant together for the day!) and winding down for the night. Kaela got to have a nice long chat on the phone with her mom since we have such good internet! It was nice they got to catch up a little bit since she just got back home to California after traveling for 48 hours due to flight changes. We are getting picked up around 6:30 a.m. tomorrow, so we should head to bed soon so that we aren't too tired. Kaela is very excited for our day tomorrow and she thinks that it will be one of her most memorable days ever! I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures to help her remember this special occasion; it seems like she has been waiting to see an elephant for her whole life! We definitely have an exciting day ahead of us. Stay tuned for more updates!


Justin and Kaela

Scenic Chiang Mai!

A temple we passed walking around, and a Flea Market.

At the east gate of the Old City here in Chiang Mai.

Walking around our neighborhood as I follow the Grim Reaper, I mean Kaela (it was raining).

Our delicious lunch!

Posted by JK_Adventures 08:14 Archived in Thailand Comments (2)

Travel Day: Siem Reap to Chiang Mai

semi-overcast 84 °F
View Justin and Kaela's Honeymoon Adventure on JK_Adventures's travel map.

Today was yet another travel day for the traveling couple! We woke up at 8:00 a.m. in Siem Reap to finish packing and the blog post. After getting things together, we headed over for another delicious breakfast at 9:00 a.m. This time, both Kaela and I got the eggs Benedict and it was even more delicious than the day before! We both had coffee, fruit, and pastries as well; it was all very tasty! After breakfast, we headed back to our room to finish packing up before checking out and waiting in the lobby for our ride to the airport. We ended up leaving the hotel fifteen minutes later than we were planning, which helped to contribute to Kaela's stress-level for the day (including the fact that our airbnb owner from Chiang Mai had not emailed her back confirming a pick-up time at the airport).

We got to the airport around 10:40 p.m. and proceeded to the web-check-in counter for Air Asia. The line took forever, and we finally got to the front around 11:30 a.m., even though there were only a handful of people ahead of us. We quickly proceeded to passport control and waited for our flight to depart. We had a quick flight back to Bangkok, Thailand and we both spent our time reading our books. It was a relaxing flight! After we arrived in Thailand, we had a short layover of 90 minutes or so before our flight departed for Chiang Mai. Of course, checking in to Thailand this time took an egregious amount of time. We got into Thailand around 1:30 p.m. and our flight was scheduled to start boarding at 2:00 p.m. We made it through security fairly quickly and we stopped at Burger King (since they were the only place to accept credit cards, we didn't have any Thai Baht on us at the time). We had a delicious meal, and they even gave us an extra order of fries, which were so fresh and delicious today.

We hustled to our gate, leaving Burger King a few minutes after 2:00 p.m. I stopped to get some Baht on the way since we walked by an ATM. Right after I pulled money out, they started calling for people to board so we lined up and got right on the plane! This flight was a little weird for us, since we were in seats directly in front of and behind each other! I was sitting in row 22 and Kaela was right behind me in 23. I guess Air Asia didn't want us to sit together on this flight! Nevertheless, we both spent our time reading and, towards the end, dozing off before landing in Chiang Mai.

Our Airbnb host was, sure enough, waiting to pick us up when we arrived! He drove us 20 minutes to our apartment in the city and we shared stories about our lives. He lived in Cannes, France for 20 years! When we got to the apartment we were blown away by how nice it was. The apartment is a cute little studio that is perfect for me and Kaela. Plus, there is an amazing pool and a workout room (I can't wait to use both of them, picks to follow tomorrow). After getting a quick tour of the apartment, Kaela and I walked 15 minutes to a local western supermarket to pick up some supplies for the fridge. We ended up getting some cheese, meat, mustard (all for a french snack with a baguette), chips, shampoo, and a few bottles of Chang beer (one of my favorites). We even got a container of ice cream since we have a freezer!

After shopping we headed back to the hotel and ended up hanging out and watching a movie (Death Race) on TV before heading out for dinner. We ended up going to Lemongrass Thai restaurant. We split a Panang Curry, Pad Thai, and Pineapple fried rice. All of the food was absolutely delicious! We both agreed that we would probably head back there for another meal within the 6 nights that we are staying here. Our entire meal was only 10 dollars as well! I think that might have made it taste even better.

After dinner we wandered around the night market. We wanted to get a feel for what all the stores were selling and weren't planning on getting anything yet, since it was our first night. However, Kaela saw that several places were selling a Longschomp bag that she has been wanting, and I convinced her to go talk to a few of the stands in order to see what the price would be and if it would be worth it. After talking to 3 different stands, Kaela felt confident that she found the best bag in the market, and she got a fantastic deal on it! I'm sure she'll cherish it ingot he future. She even got the bag in purple, which is one of my favorite colors :D

After the market, we both started to crash. We stopped at 7-11 to get some laundry detergent and drinks before heading back to the apartment. We are both heading to bed now. We are planning to get a better feel for the city tomorrow and walk around getting to know the place. Who knows what we'll end up getting ourselves into! Until tomorrow..


Justin and Kaela

Our last breakfast in Siem Reap!

Two flights today, and on the second one we didn't get to sit next to each other!

Walking around Chiang Mai.

Our delicious dinner at the Lemongrass Restaurant.

Where we will be staying for the next six nights in Chiang Mai.

Posted by JK_Adventures 09:46 Archived in Thailand Comments (2)

Chilling in Cambodia

semi-overcast 90 °F
View Justin and Kaela's Honeymoon Adventure on JK_Adventures's travel map.

We had an amazing, relaxing day in Siem Reap! We started off the morning groggily waking up around 9:00 a.m. to make it to the hotel restaurant before breakfast ends at 10:00 a.m. We both probably could have slept for another hour or so; we were still so tired from our long day touring the temples yesterday! We took a few minutes to wake up and then walked around the property to the lobby and upstairs to the restaurant. We were both shocked today when we woke up, since we actually could see people eating in the restaurant from our room! Before this morning, we have not seen anyone else at the hotel we are staying at.

At breakfast, I got the eggs Benedict (my all-time breakfast favorite) and Kaela got two fried eggs and bacon with toast. It was quite the surprise to have eggs Benedict as a breakfast option here, an opportunity I could not pass up! It was all quite delicious! After breakfast we went back to the room to relax for the day. Since we didn’t finish the post or the pictures the night before, we spent some time working on that. It took me most of the morning and early afternoon to go through all of pictures, while Kaela finished writing and spent most of the day watching Olympic volleyball qualifying matches on TV (apparently there is a channel here that shows volleyball all day long, literally). I took around 1,600 pictures during our day at the Angkor Wat temples and I eventually narrowed it down to around 350. That took some time!

After we finished working and relaxing, Kaela talked me into getting another 30 minute foot massage at the hotel, since it came with our room booking. Yesterday was the first time I ever got a massage, so this is quite the step for me. We both had a relaxing time in a room over looking the pool. There were actually a few people swimming outside too! It looked like such a nice day, the sun was even out. The massage was very good as well! My feet and calves were sore for a little while after. Kaela is hoping that I learned a thing or two so I can start giving her comparable massages at home… we’ll see ;)

After we finished with our massage, we were greeted with ginger tea that we both enjoyed in the beautiful spa lobby. Since we both thought the pool looked so inviting during our massage, we thought we would go out for a quick swim before heading into town for the afternoon. I took the computer out to finish the post and Kaela went for a swim while I worked. She quickly made friends with another traveling couple, Jen and Nick, that was swimming at the time. We shared travel stories and got to know each other over drinks at the pool. After 15 minutes or so, I noticed that the internet wasn’t working anymore so I jumped in the pool to join the party! We ended up spending an hour or so swimming around and hanging out. At one point, it started down pouring on us, so I got out to ensure that our electronics were out of the rain. The four or us all thought that the hotel staff was looking at us funny since we were still hanging out in the pool in the monsoon weather, but none of us cared about the rain since we were already wet in the pool anyways! As the rain slowed, we all got out and decided we would share a tuk tuk into town in the evening.

We returned to our room, got ready to go, and met Jen and Nick in the lobby 45 minutes later to head into town. We stopped at a bar for a quick drink first, then walked down pub street looking for a place for dinner. We were given a flyer for a pub crawl later that night, and we asked the lady who gave it to us if she had any restaurant recommendations, and she told us there is a Cambodian cuisine place nearby. We walked directly over! The four of us were fairly easy for the waiter while ordering: Kaela and Jen got the fish amok (steam cooking the fish in banana leaves with coconut milk/cream, resulting in a curry like meal), while Nick and I both got the Cambodian curry. I really liked the curry, while Kaela thought that the fish amok was better at the Genevieve’s restaurant that we ate at the night before.

After dinner, the four of us headed back to pub street to get another round of drinks. During which, we were continuously accosted by flying bugs and grasshoppers; there are bugs everywhere in Cambodia! After we had our fill swatting the bugs away, we got up and walked through a few of the local markets. Kaela found a small souvenir and we walked back to the Asia Supermarket just outside of town to call our hotel for a ride back. Shockingly, the hotel told us to find our own way back because it was after 10:00 p.m.! Kaela and I checked with the front desk previously and we were told that we could get picked up after that time as well. It turned out not to be a big deal and we quickly hailed a tuk tuk to take us back to the hotel. We have two new great friends after today!

We are definitely tired at this point and looking forward to a good night’s sleep before our travel day tomorrow. We fly back through Bangkok on our way to Chiang Mai, Thailand! Kaela has been looking forward to going here for quite some time, and she will surely enjoy spending a day with an elephant :) Until tomorrow!


Justin and Kaela

Pouring while swimming around with Nick and Jen.

Massage ready and the view from the room.

Walking around the various night markets in Siem Reap.

Posted by JK_Adventures 18:27 Archived in Cambodia Comments (0)

Angkor Wat

semi-overcast 91 °F
View Justin and Kaela's Honeymoon Adventure on JK_Adventures's travel map.

What an incredible day exploring the ancient Angkor Wat and the surrounding temples! We started our morning off dark and early when we woke up at 4:00 am. We had to take a tuk tuk at 4:30 am to get tickets for Angkor Wat so that we could make it to the temples by sunrise. We piled into the tuk tuk and met our driver, Cho, who was ready to drive us around to all the temples we could see. Cho was awesome and very efficient and we quickly discovered that he was definitely the best tuk tuk driver around (more on that soon).

Once we got our tickets, our first stop was the iconic spot for sunrise at Angkor Wat with water in the foreground and the temple in the background. This sports provides a majestic photoesque landscape of the Angkor Wat towers reflecting off of the small lake, coupled with a sky lit from the sunrise. Cho dropped us off at the main entrance and told us he'd be waiting off to the side for us whenever we finished seeing the sunrise and Angkor Wat temple. We quickly followed the crowds thru the pitch black to our desired location, walking through small temples and stone-work on the way. It's the rainy season here in Cambodia, and it poured for several hours yesterday (in addition to raining pretty much the whole afternoon), so all of the uneven blocks and stones on the ground created ankle deep puddles for everyone to stomp in on the walk over. Our shoes and socks got a wet pretty quickly as we accidentally walked through several of these puddles, but we made it to our sunrise watching destination before we knew it. We waited patiently and politely declined coffee from every local vendor that passed by and asked. We tried to eavesdrop on some tour guides to get some more history while we stared at the slowly illuminating temple. Sunrise was set for 5:45 and once that time came around we realized we weren't necessarily going to have a colorful sunrise, more of just a lightening of the sky, outlining the temples in bright blue.

Once it was light enough to use the GoPro we took some pics and headed over to the main temple a little after 6:00 a.m. Our hotel packed us a breakfast to enjoy on the trip so we ate our chocolate croissants on our walk over to the temple and saved the fruit for an afternoon snack. The temple was absolutely incredible. The amount of detail and carvings that are still intact is just mind blowing. We heard bits and pieces of tour guides explaining some of the history and overheard one guy point out old bullet holes on one of the pillars. As we looked closer at numerous columns and walks, sure enough, bullet holes were scattered around the incredible carvings. We walked all around the entire Angkor Wat complex, including two smaller temples beside the larger one. The site wasn't overly crowded, which surprised us, and, like you'll see in the pictures, there were many times it felt and looked like we were completely alone. This surprised us because we thought that the temples would be insanely crowded the whole time. It seems that getting to the temples for sunrise really was the best decision; it allowed us some gorgeous pictures of the temples and to beat not only most of the crowd, but also the heat!

After spending an hour and a half or so in the complex, it was time to go find Cho for our next destination. The reason Cho was the bomb.com was because he somehow managed to spot us immediately every single time we walked out of a temple. This was kind of shocking because there were tons of tuk tuks at some of the destinations, which meant there were quite a few tourists inside. Cho started driving over to us before we were even close to seeing him! He saved us a ton of time wandering looking through all of the other napping drivers (some drivers set up a mini hammock inside their tuk tuk while waiting for their groups to finish touring each temple). Cho showed us a map of the temples and provided an awesome game-plan for seeing, and progressing through, each of them.

Our next stop was the larger complex of Angkor Thom. The first stop inside the complex was at Bayon, which was a more run down but equally beautiful temple. The stone had different algae looking organisms growing on all of the buildings, which gave the structures green and grey hues. This was also the first temple where we were allowed to literally climb parts of the building. The stairs were so steep and slanted that you really had to hold on while you were climbing 20 or 30 feet up. The only warning signs around said "be careful," so that's exactly what we did before scaling up and down. The stairs that we had to climb were also extremely narrow and they even sloped downhill, which made it a little more challenging and necessitated us to use our hands to quite literally climb to the top. We spent our time wandering through and around this temple; Justin said that it was his favorite of the day as he really like all of the different colors and hues.

As instructed by our driver, we moved on to Baphuon to Phimeanakas then the Elephant Terrace and Terrace of the Leper King before meeting up with Cho again. Baphuon was pretty impressive with a huge bridge leading up to it. We hiked up three different staircases for this one. Luckily there were wooden stairs built hovering over the original stones ones, so we didn't have as much difficulty climbing to the top. When we reached the highest point it seemed that we were several hundred feet off the ground! The view was amazing. Also, this is where we started to really feel the heat from the sun. It was supposed to rain, but we got lucky and had fantastic weather, which allowed for us to get some amazing pictures. We spent a couple of hours total in Angkor Thom, so we were stoked when Cho found us right away again and we got to sit and cool off in the tuk tuk. He drove us over to Ta Keo next, which is made up of large sandstone blocks. We were starting to get pretty tired at this point (the heat was starting to be a factor) so we didn't spend too much time lingering because we knew we had two larger and more prominent temples still to visit: Ta Prohm and Banteay  Kdei.

We spent about another hour and a half wandering through the maze that makes of Ta Prohm. This site was definitely the most packed. This was also one of the few sites where we saw (many) large tour groups, which made it a little less enjoyable to get lost in. A lot of people know about this temple from its appearance in Angelina Jolie's Tomb Raider film, but the site is so big that you really only see small pieces of Lara Croft wandering around in the temple in the film. We tried to take the less traveled paths going in the opposite direction of the tours. We got to see less crowded areas that had huge trees growing on top of fallen buildings. At one point we saw a before and after of one of the buildings that was literally reassembled using all of the fallen blocks. It was a huge puzzle that they put back together! After walking around the empty half of the complex, we ventured back into the tours because they were all heading to the more famous spots in the site. For example, we got lost in a stampede of people when we were searching for the main door covered in tree roots that's seen in Tomb Raider (and there were people crowded all around the site when we finally found it). The entire site was very different from the other temples, mainly because of all of the massive trees literally growing through and on top of the buildings and stones; it was quite majestic and it was amazing to see the combination of the man-made buildings and the nature overtaking the temple.

After finally finding our way out of the site (we really did get lost), Cho quickly found us again and took us to the last temple, Banteay Kdei. This was a nice one to end on because it was way less crowded than the last one. The first building had a beautiful Buddhist prayer room that had colorful flags, incense, and statues with bright adornments on them. We strolled through the entire site and played around in the ancient playground, climbing through small slanted doors and over fallen bricks. Our last bit of energy had us skipping back to Cho knowing that we would finally be able to stay off our feet for longer than 10 minutes during the ride back to the hotel. By 12:15 we'd already been up 8 hours, so we figured it was definitely time for some lunch and a nap.

When we got back to the hotel, we showered right away and had lunch. I had a spicy chicken stir fry and Justin got a chicken curry. Both were delicious! It was definitely time for a kanak attack, so we both took a nap for a few hours to rejuvenate. After we were rested (sort of) it was time to hit up Old Town and Pub Street to explore the town. Justin looked up a popular restaurant called Genevieve's, so that was our first stop for dinner. The restaurant served both western and local food, and we obviously opted for the local. We ordered tempura prawns for an appetizer, and I had the fish Amok (local curry type dish) and Justin had fried noodles with pork. We topped it all off with two draft beers. Everything was incredible! My fish was super flavorful and Justin's pork was the most tender pork I'd ever had. We both finished all of our meals and left feeling fully satisfied. After dinner, it was time to walk it off so we ventured around town. We strolled over to the art night market and walked around the different stands, all mainly selling different versions same stuff: bracelets, watches, travel items, and souvenirs. We made our way over to another night market and eventually gave in to one of the many places offering $2 foot massages for thirty minutes. Since we'd had such a long day and walked more than 10 miles, I was able to convince Justin into finally getting a massage! He's never gotten one before!! He was a little skeptical in the beginning, but eventually gave in and admitted it was actually pretty damn relaxing. We both felt much better afterwards and we walked around for another half hour or so before calling our hotel for a tuk tuk ride back. Once we got back to the hotel we tried to write the post and go through the pictures, but Justin took more than 1600 pictures and I could barely keep my eyes open to finish the post, so we had to delay until the morning.

We're planning on getting some souvenirs and more massages for our last day in Siem Reap. I might even try a fish foot massage where you put your feet in a tank with fish! We'll see! Until then...

Kaela and Justin

The amazing Bayon temple!

On our way to the sunrise at 4:30 a.m.

Sunrise in front of Angkor Wat.

Wandering around the Angkor Wat temple!

Tuk Tuk rides > Bike rides

Silly Kaela.

Some of the sites you have to quite literally climb up to get the full experience; these pictures are from the Bayon temple, the second of our day.

More pictures from the Bayon temple.

Pictures from our third temple of the day: Baphuon.

A few small temples on our way to the Ta Keo temple.

Climbing up the Ta Keo temple to enjoy the view!

This was the top level of the Ta Keo temple, several hundred feet above the ground.

Pictures from the Ta Prohm Temple; the most crowded one of the day.

One of the most famous areas of the Ta Prohm Temple, which had a scenic shot within Angelina Jolie's Tomb Raider film.

Our last temple of the day: Banteay Kdei.

Tired Lala.

Our tuk tuk ride back to the hotel!

Posted by JK_Adventures 01:03 Archived in Cambodia Comments (1)

(Entries 6 - 10 of 235) « Page 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 .. »